Monday, March 2, 2009

CHECKING OUT SOME SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES

Visited Hi5, Myspace, Facebook, Friendster, and Twitter.

The first social networking site I joined was Hi5. I consider it to be a very user friendly site that allows you to upload pictures and music, join groups based on your specific interests and regions, add applications and games to your profile, and many other features. After a while, I stop using it and cancelled my account when I moved to U.S. Of course, everyone had a Myspace account so I got one too. Myspace "A place for friends", as it appears to be in the beggining was fun to use and had the same characteristics as hi5, but it also gives you an option to add your own blog and a gadget to add your mood of the day, and also add videos. It was all very good till I started receiving a lot of spam messages and weird friend requests through it. So, I moved on and opened a Facebook account, perhaps the most famous one nowadays. Facebook, by far, from my point of view is probably the best one. It offers the same features as the previous ones but its basic idea is to allow people to get in touch with "old" school friends that you probably don't get to see as much. People join to specific networks according to the corresponding school they attended to and request an official email from the school network they are trying to join. I believe that this makes it safer since that way we all avoid getting creepy friend request from people we've never even heard of. -That is, for the ones who just use this social networking site to keep in touch with old friends.
Furthermore, I just joined Friendster, which I'm trying to explore. And by far, I see that it has the same characteristics as the sites I already mentioned such as creating your profile, uploading pictures, joining groups, and starting a blog. However I just noticed that you could also join discussions of different topics.
Finally, I will also have a word on Twitter, which can also be considered a social networking site. However, its specific purpose is letting everyone from your community know "what you are doing", so its a way of knowing what your friends are up to most of the time simply by reading their status' updates, while they read yours as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment